[geeks] Further info on Sol8 networking problem

Joshua D Boyd jdboyd at cs.millersville.edu
Fri Mar 22 10:25:19 CST 2002

On Fri, Mar 22, 2002 at 08:13:17AM -0800, Peter L. Wargo wrote:
> On Friday, March 22, 2002, at 06:51 , Joshua D Boyd wrote:
>
> >likely the DSL) they could boot back to windows and call tech support.
> >But,
> >they don't want to invest in such a machine, and I'm trying to stay
> >focussed
> >on getting a new monitor then an O2.  Buying additional computers
> >doesn't help
> >with the staying focussed (even though I have done it).
>
> Why not use an inexpensive NAT box, like the Xrouter from Xsense?  I
> have been using their stuff for *years* - cheap (like a little over
> $100), never breaks, no moving parts, and does a great job.  Basenji.com
> has sat behind one since early 2000.  They also have decent tech support.

That's what I pointed out to the 'rents.  I'm not going to go spend my own
money at this time on this.  $50 here, $100 there and very soon you are talking
about enough money to have bought a nice 20"monitor and an O2 with AV module,
or a nice used Hi8 camcorder.  Both of which I want very much.  I wanted them
both for a long time, but I want them even more than that I've gotten enough
code out that I could actually do something with them interesting.  I figure
the monitor will cast a little over $200, the O2 a little over $400 (without
the HD array that will also be needed sooner or later), and the camcorder
a little of $700.

> ICS is evil, I ran into friends using it, and they called me last
> weekend:  "Our G4 laptops can see the wireless PC network, but we can't
> share the internet."  Ugly mess that was.

Well, when ICS is working for windows, linux and NetBSD just work with it.
Getting other windows machines to work with it was actually harder.

> The auto-configuration that windowz boxes use for this crap is, well,
> crap.

I agree.  I can't afford everything though.

--
Joshua D. Boyd