[geeks] Further info on Sol8 networking problem

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Fri Mar 22 09:14:32 CST 2002

On March 22, Joshua D Boyd wrote:
> buy a new machine altogether.  My parents (who both use the internet
> extensively for business) nixed the NetBSD/sparc firewall plan on the grounds
> that they wouldn't have any idea what to do with it if it broke when I wasn't
> available.  They would accept a pentium running linux provided it was a dual
> boot machine with windows installed so that if things broke (linux or more
> likely the DSL) they could boot back to windows and call tech support.  But,
> they don't want to invest in such a machine, and I'm trying to stay focussed
> on getting a new monitor then an O2.  Buying additional computers doesn't help
> with the staying focussed (even though I have done it).

  That's pretty silly of them.  The *only* OS/machine combo that I'm
willing to install in an unattended situation is NetBSD/sparc...alpha
in a few cases, but mostly sparc.

  If I'm willing to stake my professional reputation (and indeed, my
income) on it, I think your parents probably can.  An SS2 would do
fine for this task...I've got machines of this sort, in this role,
with uptimes in excess of two years.

            -Dave

--
Dave McGuire                    "Watch those lateral G's man,
St. Petersburg, FL               I've got sandwiches in my lap!" -Sridhar