[geeks] Re: [rescue] Re: Sad end to SGI Power Challenge XL story

Bill Bradford mrbill at mrbill.net
Fri Mar 22 00:24:33 CST 2002

On Fri, Mar 22, 2002 at 12:42:38AM -0500, Dave McGuire wrote:
>   (So, they accelerated the kill-the-alpha plan and I just missed the
> announcement?)

At $JobThatPaysTheBills, they announced the sale of the Alpha assets about
three days before we were to send a PO for a massive upgrade of our Alpha
boxes.

So, the Powers That Be decided that it was time to move most of the stuff
currently running on Alpha to Sun/Solaris (right now, we're about 15% Alpha
with the rest Sun, not counting a couple racks of SGI stuff I admin thats
not directly related to the department I work in, since I'm the only guy
with SGI experience at the company).

Bill

--
Bill Bradford