[geeks] addressing incompetence in the workplace

Kurt Huhn kurt at k-huhn.com
Thu Mar 21 21:10:13 CST 2002

alex j avriette wrote:

> we have a solaris admin here who insists that to change a machine's
> hostname and ip address, the OS (solaris 8) needs to be reinstalled.
>
> i have grave concerns about this person's competence, but as you can see
> by my signature, i am not in a position to be a) this person's
> supervisor or b) this person's replacement.
>
> is there a way to suggest to upper management that an employee who has
> been around for greater than ten years might not be the right person for
> the job?
>
> gently?

Why be gentle?  You may have noticed that "subtle" is *not* my middle
name :)

I barked at the VP yesterday because he insisted on being arrogant and
telling me that I was reading something the wrong way and
misinterpreting it.  Apparently so were a couple dozen of our beta
testers, as well as everyone else in the office.  I asked him to "Please
visit the website and read what you put in there, cause it is without a
doubt, very wrong!".  He slinked away and fixed it very quietly...

I would, if I were you, start by compiling some reference material - use
docs.sun.com if you have too.  Also, an email or two from fellow listers
might help - yell if you need it :)

Show these to your management, and even provide a demonstration if
possible.  That might do it...

Kurt