[geeks] Re: [rescue] Re: Sad end to SGI Power Challenge XL story

Jon Still jon-pop at tertial.org
Thu Mar 21 15:11:14 CST 2002

On Thursday, March 21, 2002, at 05:51 PM, Peter L. Wargo wrote:

> 2) Cheap: E4000 or 4500 with 4 250MHz 1M cache CPU's (cheap!), and a
> metric buttload of I/O boards.  each I/O board has 100Mbit ether, 4SBUS
> slots, 2 spots for FC GBICs, and a FW SCSI.

My first experience with an E4500 was unloading a few palettes-worth of
Sun gear.  We were expecting < 30 boxes (3 E4500s, 3 D1000s, monitors,
country kits, OS, Veritas VM et al).  We'd paid the reseller to
physically build the E4500s as we had no real experience with Sun
hardware.

Except they didn't.  Myself and $coworker are network engineers.  We
look at each other.  We look at the rapidly growing pile of boxes.

Several hours later we had built one of the three systems only to get
hit by software problems...  We bitched majorly at the reseller and the
next time we made them send an engineer to us to build the damn things...

J.

Jon Still                               E-mail: jrs at tertial.org
System Administrator                    Web:    http://www.tertial.org/
tertial.org