[geeks] Re: [rescue] Re: Sad end to SGI Power Challenge XL story

Big Endian bigendian at mac.com
Thu Mar 21 12:42:04 CST 2002

>On Thu, 21 Mar 2002, Big Endian wrote:
>
>>  This is *WAY* out of the challenge's league I would think.  But
>>  you're right they are *BEAUTIFUL* machines.
>
>Well, going on purchase price, the 4000 was cheaper than a challenge XL.
>Dunno about the used market now.

The 4500:
http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?MfcISAPICommand=GetResult&query=Sun+4500&ht=1&itemtimedisp=0&st=2&SortProperty=MetaEndSort&BasicSearch=

The challenge:
Can't find anything on ebay right now but price is about 1-10k
depending on config in the past.

The 4500 is closer to the Origin line than the Challenge line though
as the cpus  used in the Challenges are R4ks/R8ks or somewhat hacked
in R10ks.  The difference between an Origin2000 and an Challenge L/XL
is like an Indigo2 and an Octane.  Its the same CPU just a machine
designed from the ground up to handle it.  As it is the R10ks in the
Challenge/I2 are *VERY* impressive for the time frame.  I wouldn't
mind an SS1k loaded the way you're talking about, in fact it would
probably become my nfs/db server if I had one but in terms of raw
power the Challenge would win.

daniel