[geeks] Re: [rescue] Re: Sad end to SGI Power Challenge XL story

Big Endian bigendian at mac.com
Thu Mar 21 10:08:02 CST 2002

>On Thu, Mar 21, 2002 at 07:44:12AM -0800, Peter L. Wargo wrote:
>
>>  Don't look at me.  If a working Challenge L or XL showed up at my house,
>>  I'd take pictures of the 4Runner climbing over it.  Or, I'd use it for
>>  target practice. ("Gee, how long will it stay up as I fill it full of
>>  lead?")
>>
>>  That's one computer that can, in my mind, vanish without a trace.
>>  Better a fridge than mucking up someone's data center...
>
>Ack.  Is the machine really that bad?  I mean, I know your experience with
>them a long time ago sucked, but still...

Pete just doesn't like them.  I happen to *LOVE* mine.  I've got it
in a place where I can keep it up now.  Even w/ 4xR4400 its *SCREAMS*
with the SGI compilers and what I've built on it so far.  Next
project is going to be PostgreSQL for it.

>So, assuming I decided not to go with a Challenge DM for a workgroup server.
>What sort of Sun would be needed to handle 10+ scsi channels and numerous FDDI
>and FastE ports, plus perhaps HiPPI, with all connections having only one
>machine on it simultaneously demanding full bandwidth?  Or do you think a
>challenge is also unable to handle this?  I haven't tried it on a challenge.
>All I know is that SGI has customers who have gotten it working.

Chalenges don't do FastE.  You'll need an Origin for that.  But my L
has 2 FDDI channels, 5 scsi channels, and I *CAN'T* push it to its
limits without a more demanding network I/O situation.  I have to say
that if you need I/O ore massive processing the SGIs just *RULE*.  I
wouldn't put one on the public internet, but thats why we all have
suns and solaris.  To each their own, but if anybody wants to fucking
*SHOOT* a challenge DM/L/XL *PLEASE* call me first, I'll take it.

daniel