[geeks] Re: [rescue] Re: Sad end to SGI Power Challenge XL story

Joshua D Boyd jdboyd at cs.millersville.edu
Thu Mar 21 09:55:34 CST 2002

On Thu, Mar 21, 2002 at 07:44:12AM -0800, Peter L. Wargo wrote:

> Don't look at me.  If a working Challenge L or XL showed up at my house,
> I'd take pictures of the 4Runner climbing over it.  Or, I'd use it for
> target practice. ("Gee, how long will it stay up as I fill it full of
> lead?")
>
> That's one computer that can, in my mind, vanish without a trace.
> Better a fridge than mucking up someone's data center...

Ack.  Is the machine really that bad?  I mean, I know your experience with
them a long time ago sucked, but still...

So, assuming I decided not to go with a Challenge DM for a workgroup server.
What sort of Sun would be needed to handle 10+ scsi channels and numerous FDDI
and FastE ports, plus perhaps HiPPI, with all connections having only one
machine on it simultaneously demanding full bandwidth?  Or do you think a
challenge is also unable to handle this?  I haven't tried it on a challenge.
All I know is that SGI has customers who have gotten it working.

--
Joshua D. Boyd