[geeks] Insurance, and Why I Hate It (long)

Tom Borton tborton at usa.net
Tue Mar 19 13:09:44 CST 2002

I like the idea of your system, but there are two related conditions
that keep me relatively content to pay some forms of insurance:
1.	Insurance for things over which I have no control.  I can be
sure that I maintain my cars and drive safely, but I can't force
everyone to.  And everyone - list members excepted, of course - has
their stupid moments.
2.	Insurance to make sure that I can't be bankrupted because other
people fail to be responsible for their actions.

Going without insurance is a gamble that everyone else will deal
responsibly with you and can afford the responsible remedy for something
they have done unto you.

That's the theory - the mercenary tactics employed by some companies to
maximize their profits, as noted by others earlier, are the real reason
people don't like insurance.  It's the companies, not so much the
concept, that (justifiably) cause wide-spread hatred.

Tom