[geeks] Insurance, and Why I Hate It (long)

Andrew Weiss ajwdsp at cloud9.net
Tue Mar 19 09:47:23 CST 2002

On Monday, March 18, 2002, at 05:09 PM, Bill Bradford wrote:

> On Mon, Mar 18, 2002 at 03:51:46PM -0600, Jonathan C. Patschke wrote:
>>    I'm 22 years old with a perfect driving record.  I drive a 2001
>> Pontiac
>> Firebird with a V6, air bags, ABS, and alarm.  What do I pay?  About
>> $2500
>> per annum.  That alone is enough for me to rant about, but, you know,
>> I'd
>> assumed that, if I ever got in an accident, the insurance company would
>> actually -do- something, so I didn't bitch too hard.
>
> I was paying around $1500-2000/year for LIABILITY ONLY on an '87
> Firebird
> for a while.  It gets Much Better (tm) once you turn 25.

Before I was 25 I paid roughly $2220 per year.  I now pay $1764 per year
on my V6 Cougar 99'.

I've had my ex wife on the policy and she had 3 accidents (I was paying
roughly the post 25 single rate when she was on the policy for two cars
before I was 25).  I've had speeding tickets... nothing has really
affected my premium cost.  I've been with GEICO for 9 years.... and
started on my father's policy.  They've done a reasonable job (better
than actually) IMHO.

When I price out insurance, however... I usually look at the monthly
rate... $147/mo.

Andrew