[geeks] Sol8 network question

Joshua D Boyd jdboyd at cs.millersville.edu
Tue Mar 19 07:26:42 CST 2002

I'm having a wierd problem where on a Solaris 8 machine I'm working on, I can
connect just fine to local machines for services like ftp, http, telnet, etc.

But, I can't connect to non-local machines, even if I use IPs rather than
hostnames (which is to say that I'm pretty sure it isn't a DNS issue).

So, I did a netstat -rn, and I get:
bash-2.03# netstat -rn

Routing Table: IPv4
  Destination           Gateway           Flags  Ref   Use   Interface
-------------------- -------------------- ----- ----- ------ ---------
192.168.0.0          192.168.0.55          U        1     15  le0
224.0.0.0            192.168.0.55          U        1      0  le0
default              192.168.0.1           UG       1     44
127.0.0.1            127.0.0.1             UH       1      0  lo0
bash-2.03#

Now, that default line, it has no Interface.  Could that be my problem, and if
so, how do I fix it?  I guess it is time to look up Solaris 8 routing
information. On my linux machine, I see that netstat lists an interface for
the default (0.0.0.0 destination) route.

--
Joshua D. Boyd