[geeks] Sol8 networking woes

Joshua D Boyd jdboyd at cs.millersville.edu
Mon Mar 18 23:23:42 CST 2002

On Tue, Mar 19, 2002 at 12:07:23AM -0500, Keith Campbell wrote:

> Did you set up your /etc/resolv.conf file?
> Did you add 'dns' to the 'hosts' line in your /etc/nsswitch.conf file?

Yeah, the installed did that for me.  The resolv.conf on the sol8 machine
looks identical to the resolv.conf file on my Linux box, and I assume
the nsswitch.conf is right, since I see:
hosts:      files dns
in the file.

Besides, ping and traceroute resolve names to IPs.  I just can't connect to
those IPs in usefull ways.  It almost seems that ICMP is working, but not TCP.

--
Joshua D. Boyd