[geeks] Sol8 networking woes

Joshua D Boyd jdboyd at cs.millersville.edu
Mon Mar 18 22:54:41 CST 2002

Am I just especially bad at finding information online, because I seem to have
to ask a huge number of questions when it comes to getting used to new OSs.

Anyway, on my Solaris 8 machine, I set the gateway.  At this point I can
connect (telnet, ftp) to local machines (in the same netblock).  I can ping
other machines (like sunhelp.org or epix.net), but I can't connect via telnet,
ftp, or http to them.  Other machines in the same network have no trouble
making those connections though.  Any guesses as to why the problem?  This
is reaking havoc with trying to use pkg-get to install software on the
machine, not to mention would render it pretty much useless as a colocated
machine (were I stupid enough to ship it this way).

--
Joshua D. Boyd