[geeks] Insurance, and Why I Hate It (long)

Kurt Huhn kurt at k-huhn.com
Mon Mar 18 20:52:23 CST 2002

>    Am I doing anything wrong here, or am I just stuck between the two
> worst insurance companies on the planet[5]?  Or, worse, yet, is this Just
> The Way Things Are(TM)?

I've had some bad days with insurance companies - but I have to say,
your experience is pretty close to the worst I've read about.  I
sympathize, fortunately I can't empathize though.

I've managed to develop a personal relationship with my agents, even my
kids know them, and that's probably a good place to start.  Always try
to develop these relationships with your agents - that way they'll
always attempt to find the right company for you at good rates.

The other thing working in my favor is that I know the insurance laws -
courtesy of my wife that used to work for Pawtucket Mutual Insurance.

I dunno about TX, but here in RI the insurance company has no choice in
where you take your vehicle to be repaired.  None.  Zero input.  You
take it where they want it, and the insurance company and body shop
discuss how best to fix and what it will cost.  If you can get a
warranty from the repair shop, get one.

Recently I found that the woman who rear-ended my truck actually *did*
have insurance, but she just wasn't saying anything.  My insurance
company actually *called* me to say that they were going to process
through the other insurance company, and that I wouldn't have to worry
about paying the deductable and getting reimbursed later on.  The other
insurance company got a call from me on Friday, when I asked them when
they were going to settle for the amount on the estimate I faxed to them
last week.  I'm apparently getting a disbursement check this week for
the full amount.  Overall a fairly painless experience.

Of course I have a "I take no shit" voice, which helps - and I back it
up with attitude too...

Kurt