[geeks] Insurance, and Why I Hate It (long)

Joshua D Boyd jdboyd at cs.millersville.edu
Mon Mar 18 16:17:03 CST 2002

On Mon, Mar 18, 2002 at 03:51:46PM -0600, Jonathan C. Patschke wrote:

>    Am I doing anything wrong here, or am I just stuck between the two
> worst insurance companies on the planet[5]?  Or, worse, yet, is this Just
> The Way Things Are(TM)?

> [5] From what I've read on the 'net, I'm leaning towards the latter.

Yes, you are doing something wrong.  What are you doing wrong?  You are
getting collision/comprehensive coverage which implies that you are actually
dependent on your insurance company.

The solution is to buy a cheap[1] car that you can afford within reason to
repair and/or replace.

The other thing I learned is to take the car to the dealership for estimates,
unless the dealership is so incompetant that you don't want them touching your
car.  The dealership estimates will often be higher.

--
Joshua D. Boyd

[1] Cheap is of course relative to the purchasers financial status.