[geeks] Palm Pilot "rescue"

Joshua D Boyd jdboyd at cs.millersville.edu
Mon Mar 18 14:24:40 CST 2002

On Mon, Mar 18, 2002 at 12:19:22PM -0800, Fogg, James wrote:
> An engineer at work had an original palm pilot that he had no use for. I
> said I'd give it a home. So, now what to do with it.
>
> Lesseee...
> 1/2 meg dram and Motorola processor, gee, isn't there a Linux distro that
> would run on this? I did hear rumors about a palm linux hack project, but
> can't find any mention of it among the noise on google.

I don't have the URLs handy, but I do know that the palm linux project
required 4 megs of ram.

> Since it has the serial hotsync maybe I should use it as a portable
> terminal. I should just place it on a shelf as an example of a pristine
> Pilot. Perhaps someday there won't be many around.

What is this exactly?  A Palm 1000?  It would still be use full for the built
in programs.  That memory really is cramped though.  I have an 8 meg unit and
rarely use more than 4 megs of it, but I'd find even a 2 meg unit rather
irritating for additional programs.  But, if you only use the shipped software
(or upgraded versions of same), then 1/2 meg should be fine.

--
Joshua D. Boyd