[geeks] Help with MCSE

Jonathan Eisch jeisch at boku.net
Sat Mar 16 12:55:15 CST 2002

On 3/16/02 11:47 AM, "alex j avriette" <avriettea at speakeasy.net> wrote:
> I was thinking of buying one or more emachines (at $300 a pop theyre not
> bad) for her to use windows on, afterwhich they'd make nice
> openbsd/linux machines.
>
> think that would work? any other suggestions?

I've got connectix's Virtual PC 5 on my cube (I think they make a version
for windows) that allows me to run several virtual machines with their own
IP addresses and all, talking to eachother with a 'virtual switch' (so two
virtual machines on the same physical computer can communicate with
eachother).  Works well to have NT Server, workstation and win98 on the same
box, talking to eachother, and other systems on the network etc.  When
you've got a few systems going, it's not the quickest thing in the world,
but a lot cheaper than physical computers (and switching between them is
easy).  Another feature that I like is you can create 'undoable' disks, that
you can commit or dumb changes on...  Works well for testing stuff.

-Jonathan