[geeks] ADMINISTRIVIA: Changes to mail delivery policies

Tom Borton tborton at usa.net
Thu Mar 14 22:35:16 CST 2002

That reminds me of a co-worker when we were traveling together.  I have
a startup script that randomly picks a picture for a background, and for
our presentations it had been flipping different shots of my (then only)
daughter each time I booted the machine.

Everyone had been amused and he thought she was cute (yes, she has a
sister!), and I asked if (not "when") he and his wife were going to
start a family.  He got this hunted look on his face and kinda mumbled,
"Well, um, no, we only like other people's kids for a visit."  He was
very surprised when I chuckled and said, "Good, don't."

Apparently he had been ambushed too many times by the
"I-think-my-kids-are-wonderful-so-of-course-you're-going-to-have-them"
crowd.  People get married to share their lives.  No one assumes that
every couple likes mountain climbing; why do they assume that every
couple is going to have kids?

Tom