[geeks] speaking of proper setup..

Bill Bradford mrbill at mrbill.net
Thu Mar 14 21:54:55 CST 2002

On Thu, Mar 14, 2002 at 10:11:45PM -0500, Greg A. Woods wrote:
> What's really curious is why you changed your zone very recently without
> following your own SOA serial numbering scheme.
<snip>
> Meanwhile if I query your nameserver directly for the SOA I see a "new"
> serial number:
<snip>
> 	                        2001060130      ;serial number (version)
<snip>
> I don't know if you've tried to fake out the SOA to make it look like
> you haven't changed it in a very long time or whether you've just given
> up on changing the number to make it look like a date, or if you're now
> using software to generate your zone files and it's just incrementing
> the number it found.  In any case it would seem you did make a change to
> your DNS within the last day.

Yes.  Once I got the response from your mailer, I went back and put in a
specific MX record for ohno.mrbill.net, pointing to itself.  I then
incremented the serial number by 1.  I made another change (not related
to you) to the zone file after that.  Therefore, ...28 ended up as ...30.

(I CAN COUNT!  OOH!  GIMME A KEWPIE DOLL!)

> 	$ host -t mx mrbill.net most
> 	mrbill.net              MX      0 ohno.mrbill.net

BINGO!  Buy the man a cee-gar.

> What in fact my mailer requires is that there be an MX for the domain
> name used in the SMTP envelope sender address.  It's done this for many
> years now, actually.  If I'm not mistaken AOL still have a similar
> requirement, and if not now then they sure did once upon a time.

Yours is the only host I see bouncing mail back at me lately, so I dont
think AOL requires this anymore.  Lessee...

looks like I've got about 20 @aol.com addresses on the various lists.

> Planix, Inc. <woods at planix.com>; VE3TCP

Can we stop nitpicking about protocol specifics / operational behavior
and maybe talk about something else?  Ham radio?  I picked up a nice
Kenwood R-600 HF receiver (about 20 years old, all solid-state) last
weekend.

TCP - that a vanity handle, or did you just happen to end up with that one?

Hrm.  callsign.ualr.edu has no records for VE3TCP.  Must not be a ham
callsign.  Oh.  Canada.  I dont have access to that database. 8-)

Bill K5WCB

--
Bill Bradford
mrbill at mrbill.net