[geeks] nifty Windows programs?

R. Lonstein rlonstein at pobox.com
Thu Mar 14 20:26:09 CST 2002

On Thu, Mar 14, 2002 at 09:57:17AM +0100, William S. wrote:
    [snip]
> need to throw another OS on this. What I would like to do
> is make it more useful as I Windows machine.

Desktop Manager. This is the coolest hack for Windows. It's a virtual
desktop and replacement shell.  http://www3.nf.sympatico.ca/byronm/dm.html

Vim... http://www.vim.org

X-Win32 by StarNet. A great x-server and client, but pricey for home
($249 regular, $149 for educational staff, $60 for students)
http://www.starnet.com/products/

GNU Utils for Win32... http://unxutils.sourceforge.net/

Less for Win32... http://www.flash.net/~marknu/less/download.html

Freeamp... http://www.freeamp.org/

Getting the idea that I spend too much time using Windos?

    [snip]
> What is a good "SSH" client?
    [snip]

Putty... http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty/
Or, if you are determined to spend money, SecureCRT by VanDyke.

- Ross