[geeks] nifty Windows programs?

Jonathan C. Patschke jp at celestrion.net
Thu Mar 14 03:10:26 CST 2002

> So, can anyone recommend any nifty programs I can
> install on it to make it more useful? I already

Vim and XEmacs are available, if you're lacking a decent editor.  PFE is
also a good text editor--it can be found by Googling.  The GIMP can be
had, and it works fairly well.

If you like playing with code, Cygwin (on RedHat's site) is so-so port of
the GNU suite.  But, you'll need it if you want to use the Win32 port of
XFree86.

> have Word and Excel. I also have one game I added:
> "WORMS".

Nethack is available, too. :)

> What is a good "SSH" client?

PuTTY!

Even for plain ol' telnet connections, it's a far sight better than the
client that comes with Windows.  In fact, it's a really nice terminal
emulator overall.  It emulates most of XTerm's functions (including mouse
reporting), and it's a lot more responsive than the default telnet app.

You know, when I was introduced to Unix back in '95 or so, I wanted X
ports of Windows apps.  Now, I think it says something that the only
Windows apps I actually -use- (aside from Cakewalk, VisStudio, and ICQ)
are Windows ports of Unix apps!

--Jonathan