[geeks] the mail debate (please read!)

s at avoidant.org s at avoidant.org
Thu Mar 14 01:11:55 CST 2002

Bill Bradford wrote:

> > > S'hug on s'loufa.

> Is it spicy, or does the boiling take that out?

It is spicy. Varying the peppers is a good way to adjust it. I have one
Yemeni friend who likes to make it from habaneros, but I think he just
does that for effect. I find finger peppers to be good if I want it HOT,
but jalapenos are just right for everyday use.

Playing with the peppers also changes the color. Some like red, I'm
partial to green. Jalapenos turn an almost flourescent green when
they're prepared like this. It's how you know it's done. Cook it too
long and it turns olive drab.

> >   How do you pronounce it?

seh-hhoog (the double hh is aletter for which there is no English
equivalent, nad the first h isn't really there)

seh-loof-ah

accent on the first syllable for both.

> *burp* probably 8-)

Mmmm, one of my favorite breakfasts...

Malawah (another yemenite flatbread, this one fried in butter instead of
baked) with s'hug, chopped tomatoes and bleu or feta cheese with Turkish
coffee. mmmm...

---sambo
likes to eat