[geeks] ADMINISTRIVIA: Changes to mail delivery policies

David Cantrell david at cantrell.org.uk
Wed Mar 13 17:45:35 CST 2002

On Wed, Mar 13, 2002 at 04:38:58PM -0500, Greg A. Woods wrote:

> You're not looking at the whole picture!

That's ripe, coming from the person who failed to read what was originally
written.  Bill's complaint was largely, as I read it, about having to wade
through mountains of crap generated by delivery failures.  Cutting the
delivery timeout to just one day cuts that dramatically for reasons which
are entirely seperate from dull minutiae about SYN packets.

> > It's a mailing list. Get over it. (Repeating just to keep Amy happy :)
>
> It's not just a mailing list -- it's all of Bill and Amy's e-mail, _all_
> of the mailing lists they run, and all the outgoing maile for any other
> users they might be hosting too.

On MY box, I am God.  No, I'm more important than God.  My users will put
up or fuck off elsewhere.  Likewise those who use my mailing lists.

Same applies to Bill and his box.

> I'm sure some of the other subscribers on the other lists will not be
> quite so happy about the potential of their mail from those other lists
> bouncing prematurely due to some mistaken idea Bill's got about how he
> can improve his postmaster duties.

Well, seeing that my mail is set up PROPERLY, with a secondary MX and stuff,
so that in the rare event of my primary server going down my mail can still
be delivered, I have nary a problem with that at all.

*threadplonk*

--
David Cantrell | Benevolent Dictator | http://www.cantrell.org.uk/david

  Some people, when confronted with a problem, think ``I know, I'll use
  regular expressions.'' Now they have two problems.        -- jwz