[geeks] RE: [rescue] satellite internet service

Corda Albert J DLVA CordaAJ at NSWC.NAVY.MIL
Wed Mar 13 16:33:44 CST 2002

  I've already tried that... I even had a sit-down meeting
with Adelphia's district manager. The end result was
"No Way".  She insisted that the installation had to
be carried out by "Qualified" installers. They absolutely
refused to hook up to a customer-supplied cable.  I even
tried to get them to install to a shed located near the
pedistal, but she considerd the fiber drop  that I was
going to run to the shed as a customer-supplied cable
extension)

  I then proceeded to complain at a county cable board
meeting about the installation costs, but was told that
$4.00 a foot was "reasonable" and that the contract
between the county and Adelphia did not put any
restrictions on it (I even procured a copy of the
cable contract... they weren't lying)...

What really hurts about all this is that when I
bought my house back in `92, the previous owner
told me that the cable company had offered to
run a line up to it for free. He absolutely
refused (He was an "anti-TV" proponent).  When
I bought the house, I inquired about it and
they told me it would now be $1.00 a foot...
but being a new home owner, I didn't have the
spare cash at the time, so I put it off for a
year. The next year when I had the cash, I tried
to submit an order, and was informed that it
would now be $3.00 a foot (The cable deregulation
act had just passed a few months earlier). Now
it's $4.00 a foot.  I give up.

So, as a result, I've been exploring alternatve
connection schemes.

BTW, is anyone here on the corporate board at Adelphia ;-)

-al-  "Connectionless in Fredericksburg" (Sounds like
a movie title, doesn't it :-)

-acorda at 1bigred.com