[geeks] ADMINISTRIVIA: Changes to mail delivery policies

Jonathan C. Patschke jp at celestrion.net
Wed Mar 13 16:18:45 CST 2002

> > Tough shit.  Not having them is mad.
>
> You should learn a bit more about network infrastructure before you
> spout such blatant nonsense.  About the only reason to have a secondary
> MX these days is for load balancing purposes, in which case you probably
> want peer MXers, not one or more secondaries.

I beg to differ.  My ISP sucks, and I'd lose a great bit of mail (or at
least annoy people sending mail to me with floods of DSNs) if I weren't
borrowing an MX from Bill[1].

Even when I worked at $ISP, we had -two- second-tier MXes.  We're in
Texas.  Our second-tier MXes were in Ohio and California.  You can only
imagine how nice this was when $Datacenter lost power for several hours
due to a UPS failure or when $Upstream forgot that we existed, and
decommissioned our IP address space.

Load balancing is -not- the only reason to have a secondary MX.  Not
having one is about as bright as not keeping backups.

> Again you miss the entire point only to spout your nonsense.

I daresay that you're insistent almost to the point of being rude, with
regards to borrowed bandwidth.  Not that you don't have valid points here,
but there's a lot to be said for agreeing to disagree.

--Jonathan
[1] Many thanks, BTW.  My 'net connection just came back up an hour or so
    again, after dying sometime in the night.  If Earthlink doesn't hurry
    up and get my new line installed before I leave for Boston, I'll be
    quite upset.