[geeks] ADMINISTRIVIA: Changes to mail delivery policies

Greg A. Woods woods at weird.com
Wed Mar 13 14:12:36 CST 2002

[ On Wednesday, March 13, 2002 at 21:04:40 (+1100), Scott Howard wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: [geeks] ADMINISTRIVIA: Changes to mail delivery policies
>
> Poor network design and/or configuration is your problem, not Bill's.

Indeed that's one of the problems I help people solve, but I am not an
army or even a whole legion and I cannot solve such problems for all
Bill's subscribers around all the far reaches of the world.

> Lets do the sums.  The actual number of SYN packets is going to be closer to
> 6-8

WRONG.  Three per connection attempt.  Period.  Yes each MX will cause
an additional connection attempt, but that's a second concern.  There
may, or may not, be a returned ICMP error reply for each SYN packet.

In the end we're still talking a total amount of traffic that won't even
show up as a tiny pixel on Bill's throughput graphs, not unless his own
ISP gets disconnected from most of the Internet.

Try checking your facts for a change.  A wee bit of patience and tcpdump
will show you what happens.

--
								Greg A. Woods