[geeks] Drum versus disk brakes vs. rear-wheel anti-lock

Peter Street peter.street at lazerfx.co.uk
Tue Mar 12 16:27:59 CST 2002

From: Kris Kirby, Sent: 12 March 2002 22:20

<Snip>

> The slide was locking the rear wheels with the parking brake and
turning
> the wheel and gunning it (both cars are front wheel drive). Pretty
neat,
> making a 90 degree turn faster than your buddies who are following
you.

> I need to get better at dealing with slides and such. I feel that will
be
> my undoing.

<Snip>

I powerslid an AWD Subaru Impreza on a track day once like that (~245
bhp, All Wheel Drive, 2.0 Turbo) but if you get it wrong, as you say,
you go end-over-end and look a right wally.

Get it right, and nothing can touch you.  Having AWD sure helps - grip
and push at both ends of the car, as it is needed.

> --
> Kris Kirby, KE4AHR          | TGIFreeBSD... 'Nuff said.
> <kris at nospam.catonic.net>   | IM: KrisBSD | HSV, AL.
> "Fate, it seems, is not without a sense of irony."

Peter Street
Web Developer / Manager
LazerFX Productions
www.lazerfx.co.uk (Under Construction)