[geeks] car question (RESOLVED)

Kurt Mosiejczuk kurt at csh.rit.edu
Tue Mar 12 12:04:40 CST 2002

On Tue, 12 Mar 2002, Michael Schiller wrote:

> As for shoes vs pads most of the time when you buy shoes at
> a parts store they're relined, that means that the metal part didn't
> cost the store anything (they got them from other customers exchanges),
> whereas pads are almost always new.

Of course, with the refundable core charge, this becomes true.  However,
you'll notice that they don't ask for core charges on pads, it's just
cheaper to make new ones.  The core charge is usually a significant
part of the cost of new brake shoes... not a majority, the majority is
their profit margin on the part =)

> I had a Mercury Grand Marquis that had 4 wheel disc brakes, and the
> rear rotors had small drums built into them, (maybe 4" total dia.) that
> had shoes in it for the emergency brake, nice setup, and in 150k miles
> I only had to replace those shoes once. :)

I know that is one way they handle the parking/emergency brake.  I'm
betting that it is NOT cheaper than just doing drum brakes in the rear
to begin with.

--Kurt