[geeks] DNS summary

Peter L. Wargo pwargo at basenji.com
Mon Mar 11 21:26:23 CST 2002

Well, I forged ahead and pointed rogue to itself for DNS, after
realizing that it has seemed happy using the 192.168.1.x address from
/etc/hosts for some time.

So, now I have the following:

---inet---->/NAT box/----internal net---->rogue.basenji.com with split
DNS (via 'views')

If anything other than a 192.168.1.x queries rogue's DNS, it returns the
IP assigned to me by my ISP.  All internal hosts (including rogue) get
the internal IP addresses.

Not only is everything working well, but external lookups (like
www.<whatever>.com) are now *much* faster for the internal hosts.
Before, when you typed a URL into a browser there would be a 3-4sec
delay.  Now it's instant.

Plus, my new domains are now online (but no email yet, just the virtual
HTTP):
http://www.peterwargo.com
http://www.basenjiworld.org
http://www.chandrasworld.com

They are all served off of the same U2, and it works just spiffy.  Many
thinks to list folks, plus the DNS & BIND book from ORA.  (Bind 9 rocks!)

-Pete