[geeks] car question

geeks at sunhelp.org geeks at sunhelp.org
Mon Mar 11 15:20:06 CST 2002

Got it! Sounds like you may have had the jumper cables backwards.

With NO battery to speak of, there was nothing to oppose the polarity
reversal. The engine didn't start because it was turning backwards.

Unfortunately, if this is what happened, it can do damage. The voltage
regulator, radio, electronic ignition and engine management system
(computer) might give you trouble. If the car doesn't run with a new
battery, I would start checking the computer (not easy) and ignition system
(easy). On the other hand, these devices (hopefully) have polarity reversal
protection, which isn't hard or expensive to include in manufacturing and
design.

I have reversed jumper cables before (twice). In my case one car (a
Cadillac) got very upset about it, and the other (a Ford truck) didn't care.
Each time the battery had some life left and let me know how careless I had
been (big sparks).

James Fogg, Network Engineer
Vicinity Corporation - New Hampshire
(603) 442-1751