[geeks] DNS help?

Peter L. Wargo pwargo at basenji.com
Sun Mar 10 15:29:26 CST 2002

O.K., I decided to get off my duff (while i deal with
cold/allergies/whatever) and work on my DNS stuff.

Right now, the kind folks at n2.net are serving up basenji.com's DNS, as
rogue.basenji.com sits in my house behind a NAT setup.  It currently
serves internal hosts.

However, I need to serve a few more domains.  So, I've configured BIND 9
on rogue to serve "views", and that part seems to work. (If I use an
external host and point to (rogue.)basenji.com as a server, these new
domains are correct.

But, what to do about basenji.com itself?  If I want to serve it off of
rogue (desired), then how do i deal with the fact that the external
world sees one address for rogue, while rogue itself has another?

In other words, if I point rogue's resolv.conf at itself, it will get
back the internal address, since it is an internal host.  Now, I could
use files or NIS (nis is running on my network), but I'm wondering if
there is a nicer way to accomplish my goal of serving DNS for all four
of my domains off of one box w/o causing a major explosion.

Ideas appreciated.

_pete