[geeks] A little self-indulgence

Joshua D Boyd jdboyd at cs.millersville.edu
Sun Mar 10 01:22:38 CST 2002

On Sun, Mar 10, 2002 at 12:59:47AM -0600, Jonathan C. Patschke wrote:
> > Javascript and Java I haven't found a need for.
>
> I've found one relevant, completely justifiable use for Javascript in a
> program that I wrote at my previous workplace.  I was coding an

I once found a kinda cool way that Javascript was used (though arguably a
choice of a differentl language might have been better).  In VRML2 and
VRML97, you create your world by placing objects in it.  You then automate
this world by connecting the inputs and outputs of the objects together.
Most objects are fairly obvious things like 3D models, lights, the camera,
etc.  So, for instance, you could fashion of sort of head mount display by
attaching the position input of some objects to the position output of the
viewpoint.

But, the really cool type of object was the javascript object.  You could
write a bunch of short functions together, then attach them to the inputs
and outputs of different objects.  I thought it was pretty cool.  It would
have been cooler still if VRML97 hadn't been attached to being a browser
plugin, but could instead be developed as a decent stand alone.

The SGI CosmoPlayer was once the best VRML2 player.  CosmoWorlds was the
best VRML2 authoring tool.  It was under this tool that I realized how cool
this method of working was.  But, the tool more or less got killed.  I believe
it is now owned by CA, but it was pretty much dead before they god it.

Anyway, it seems that the standard still lives, a little.  To some extent
(I don't know the extent) it is used quite a bit in Java3D.  But, I don't like
Java, so I never bothered to learn Java3D.

Recently I found that VRML2 is very thoroughly embraced in a toolkit called
ReachIn (http://www.reachin.se/products/reachinapi/).  Reachin programs run
standalone, not inside a web browser.  Reachin programs can use Python for
script objects.  So far, the examples I've looked at have used C++ to
bootstrap a Reachin system, but I suspect it isn't nescesary (determining
this will require time with the manuals rather than just browsing the
examples folder).  And perhaps (hopefully) coolest of all is that Reachin
supports numerous force feedback devices like Phantoms and Lappie (a force
feedback laproscopic-like device used for building trainers).

What remains to be seen is how well ReachIn will perform doing real world work.
But, I've rambled quite a bit.

What was done with Javascript in VRML was cool, but it isn't a good excuse
to use it because you shouldn't be using VRML for websites any more.  There,
I've gotten back on track.  I should go to bed and stop speakin nonsense

--
Joshua D. Boyd