[geeks] Booze and Religion

David Passmore dpassmor at sneakers.org
Sat Mar 9 10:49:48 CST 2002

On Sat, Mar 09, 2002 at 02:33:29AM -0500, S. Gwizdak  wrote:

> You have to have at least 100 grams of carbohydrates per day to prevent
> loss of lean tissue (muscle and organs). When carbohydrates are severly
> restricted, the body goes into a state of ketosis. Energy is scavenged
> from dietary protein and fat to suply glucose. To do this from protein
> and fat requires depleting the body's reserve of glycogen. Glyogen is
> stored in muscle and lean tissue, which the body will burn off first,
> the body's metabolic rate drops because of this loss of lean tissue.
> High protein diets will additionally place a strain on kidneys.

I have gained 10 pounds of lean muscle while on a low-carb/high-protein
diet. No magic, just hitting the free weights three times a week. I get less
than 30 carbs a day on most days, maybe 50 grams twice a week, with a 'eat
all that I want' day every couple of weeks. I take the recommended vitamin
supplements.

> Another negative effect of ketosis is bad breath. Ketone bodies are not optimal
> supplements for glucose, certain tissues do not respond well to ketone bodies.
> These include the brain, muscles used for rapid movement, and red blood cells.
> The brain requires 150 grams per day of carbohydrates to function properly.
> A diet that causes ketosis will slowly degrade reaction time.

I feel and think better when I cut out complex carbohydrates and simple
sugars than I ever have. While I haven't measured my reaction time, I
certainly don't feel any slower. :)

> People do loose weight on low carb diets, which is not a surprise. These are
> a set of diets which cause ketosis (which in turn will decrease appetite),
> increased water loss, and decrease carbohydrate intake. (Starvation is always
> a great way to lose weight.)

Starvation is the only way to lose weight. To cause the body to break down
and burn or otherwise expel fat, you have to limit the amount of digestible
calories to less than you use, plain and simple. I would submit to you that
low-fat diets don't work either unless you also cut out most of the simple
sugars and complex carbohydrates, which can be turned into fat in the body.

I'm not advicating that a high-protein/low-carb diet is a magic bullet. It
isn't. But WE ALL KNOW THE WARNINGS. They're right there in the books. Sure,
it is dangerous if improperly executed. So is half the stuff you do on any
given day. Please, give it a rest. :)

David