[geeks] Sun files suit against Microsoft

Kurt Huhn kurt at k-huhn.com
Sat Mar 9 12:27:29 CST 2002

Dave McGuire wrote:

> On March 9, Amy wrote:
> > it doesn't quite play nice with windows (after two forced reinstalls,
> > this is putting it mildly). it gives the impression that java is broken and
> > not windows when you get the lovely error messages.
>
>   I second this, on both points.  First, Java definitely does *not*
> play nicely under Windoze.  In the past few weeks, I've run lots of
> Java stuff under MacOS X and Solaris 7 and 8...and all of it,
> including JDBC and serial I/O, works flawlessly.  Moving it to a
> Windoze XP machine, however, was very painful and took three attempts
> before getting anywhere.

Um, Thirded...or somthing.

My company and I just created a server-side Java app deliverd through
browsers and it works flawlessly on Linux, Solaris, and MacOS (Irix gets
attempted this weekend, and some BSDs next week).  Windows, on the other
hand - was an excercise in futility.  It still doesn't work right, and
is slower than shit rolling uphill.  My G3-400Mhz workstation serves it
faster than a dual 800Mhz windows machine.  Sickening...

Since the $PHBs of the world *need* windows - we'll eventually have to
figger out how to make it run correctly, but for now we only support the
various Unixes.

Java is an *amazingly* powerful language.  We've done all sorts of stuff
with "4 guys in a room" that wouldn't have been possible otherwise...

Kurt

Kurt