[geeks] Sun files suit against Microsoft

Amy scoobydoo at ohno.mrbill.net
Sat Mar 9 06:49:28 CST 2002

On Fri, 8 Mar 2002, Keith Campbell wrote:
> Several stories I've read elsewhere indicate that Sun is suing for $1B
> in damages because Windows XP doesn't ship with Java.
>
> I'm going to play devils' advocate here so don't ban me from the list
> :-)

not likely.

>   1) you can download Java for windows from Sun's web site, so what does
> it matter if it is shipped with windows or not?

it doesn't quite play nice with windows (after two forced reinstalls,
this is putting it mildly). it gives the impression that java is broken and
not windows when you get the lovely error messages.

>   2) since Sun is giving it away, how can they claim damages?

hrmm.

maybe they had hoped it would become a universal programming language, to
be mass-licensed. to do that, they need to tap into microsoft's market
share (which is admittedly huge). otherwise, its almost not worth to even
support the project.

? no idea. anyone else?

--a