[geeks] OW.

David Cantrell david at cantrell.org.uk
Sat Mar 9 02:53:40 CST 2002

On Fri, Mar 08, 2002 at 06:33:27PM -0500, dave at cca.org wrote:
> >On 3/8/02 10:45 AM, "David Cantrell" <david at cantrell.org.uk> wrote:
> >> They believe that Christians and Jews have 'fallen from grace' because
> >> living up to the standards set in the scriptures is damned hard to do.
> >> Forget all that crap about it being deliberately perverted.  They also
> >> believe that whilst Christians and Jews are not as insanely great as
> >> Moslems, they are still "people of the book" and to be respected.
> Islam, Judaism, and Christianity are all wide-ranging, both now, and
> especially over the centuries. Making statements about "They believe..."
> is very error prone.

Uh-huh.  I was ignoring the extremists.  Fuck knows what they believe, but
for any extremist of $religion{FOO}, their beliefs seem to have little to do
with the scriptures of $religion{FOO}.

> That bit about "People of the book" is true, but again not absolutely
> cut-and-dry. If I understand correctly, "People of the Book" originally
> meant the three religions that recognized the stories of Abraham & Moses
> as being divine. Since then it has, at times, included other unrelated
> monotheistic beliefs. I doubt this is mainstream though.

[thinks] Zoroastrianism and Bahai?  And yes, that ain't mainstream.  The
Quran states that Jews and Christians are "people of the book" and doesn't
say anything about any others.

   Lefties are usually well-intentioned at least, and possess
   a far greater command of grammar and spelling.
      -- Noel, in soc.history.what-if