[geeks] OW.

dave at cca.org dave at cca.org
Fri Mar 8 17:33:27 CST 2002

thardison at modbee.com writes:

>On 3/8/02 10:45 AM, "David Cantrell" <david at cantrell.org.uk> wrote:

>> They believe that Christians and Jews have 'fallen from grace' because
>> living up to the standards set in the scriptures is damned hard to do.
>> Forget all that crap about it being deliberately perverted.  They also
>> believe that whilst Christians and Jews are not as insanely great as
>> Moslems, they are still "people of the book" and to be respected.
>>
>> Sounds like you've been brainwashed by TWAT-lackies in the media :-)

>Ouch.. I guess I'll have to tell my comparative religion teacher that he's
>wrong. Of course he's dead now so that will be hard. I wonder if he went to
>"heaven". lol

Islam, Judaism, and Christianity are all wide-ranging, both now, and
especially over the centuries. Making statements about "They believe..."
is very error prone.

That bit about "People of the book" is true, but again not absolutely
cut-and-dry. If I understand correctly, "People of the Book" originally
meant the three religions that recognized the stories of Abraham & Moses
as being divine. Since then it has, at times, included other unrelated
monotheistic beliefs. I doubt this is mainstream though.

Another wacky twist: most polytheistic systems have, at some point,
been conceptualized as being monotheistic: "Oh, the other 'gods' are
just aspects of the one god...".

And Yahweh was originally one of 70 children of the Canaanite diety "El".

------ David Fischer ------- dave at cca.org ------- http://www.cca.org ------
----------------- Live each day like the Triffids are coming. -------------