[geeks] Booze and Religion

Peter Street peter.street at lazerfx.co.uk
Fri Mar 8 16:51:29 CST 2002

> From: Joshua D Boyd, Sent: 08 March 2002 22:43
> On Fri, Mar 08, 2002 at 04:19:30PM -0600, Amy wrote:
>
> > i mean, am i the only person here who eats bacon cause it just
tastes
> > good? or eats pears cause they, oh gee, taste good? there's not any
> > higher thought process involved. i see food, if it appeals to me, i
eat
> > it.
>
> I eat bacon in small amounts because it tastes good (I feel overwelmed
> with
> grease after a piece or two though).  But personally, I just don't
like
> pears.  I'm not much of a fruit p
>
> --
> Joshua D. Boyd

I love a good fry up, and since I'm still under 21 (just) I don't worry
too much about the fat contents.  I have a relatively good diet (Plenty
of fruit, I *love* grapes, and I'm not just talking fermented here), so
the occasional treat is to be allowed :D

I often wonder exactly how these people who propose these diets *know*
their information?  Is it just assumptions based on minimal evidence?
Or do they do months/years of exhaustive research and testing to ensure
that the diets do work, don't have side effects and fit in with
lifestyles?  I mean, how do they *know* that a particular type of food
is going to cause problems if taken in moderation?  (I admit lots of
things cause problems in excess, but then, so does water...)  How do
they *know* that something is going to fit in well in a diet?  Isn't it
just better to go along with the, "If it doesn't cause you to get fat,
and if it doesn't cause you to loose too much weight, and if you are
feeling OK - carry on" methodology?  After all, you get a huge amount
less stress that way - and stress is a bigger killer than bad foods[1].

Peter Street
Web Developer / Manager
LazerFX Productions
www.lazerfx.co.uk (Under Construction)

[1] A prime example of the type of 'made up statistics that sound right,
and probably could be true if we could be bothered to look for the web
page/research/university boffin who's dealt with it before' statistic
you read so much in these dieting books.