[geeks] Booze and Religion

Joshua D Boyd jdboyd at cs.millersville.edu
Fri Mar 8 16:41:09 CST 2002

On Fri, Mar 08, 2002 at 04:21:12PM -0600, Amy wrote:
> On Fri, 8 Mar 2002, Joshua D Boyd wrote:
>
> > On Fri, Mar 08, 2002 at 10:19:24PM +0000, Mike Meredith wrote:
> > >
> > > I'm also O+. I guess as I don't eat meat (and haven't for nearly 15
> > > years) and as I eat wheat, I should just fall over dead. Sorry to
> > > disappoint you, but I don't feel like doing that.
> >
> > What truly scares me is the idea of being a diabetic vegan on the atkins
> > diet.  But, thankfully I'm not diabetic or vegan (not a big meat eater, but
> > do like some), and I think that the Atkins diet is mainly for idiots
> > (although some of the spin off diets could potentially be OK I guess).
>
> idiots? how so? i've known plenty of people who are on it (as i am
> currently) and you do lose weight if you stick to it.
>
> any diet is dangerous if you're not under medical supervision, mind.

True.  The danger is (and this is second hand information) that more than
most diets, the Atkins is actively encouraging you to do dangerous things
that can cause ketone acidosis (spelling is probably all wrong), which is
a major problem and indicates that you have extremely high blood sugar.

>From what I hear, the Atkins diet is so bad that if you are under the
supervision of a Doctor, that it isn't really going to be the atkins diet
anymore.

I'm not saying that low carb diets are an awefull way to loose weight, just
that the Atkins no-carb diet just sounds stupid.

But then, as I said, my information on that particular diet is all second hand
from people advocating it (mostly, a little from detractors).  I haven't
bought and read the books.

--
Joshua D. Boyd