[geeks] For Dave M - Fscking Suits

Tom Borton tborton at usa.net
Thu Mar 7 21:32:09 CST 2002

I cheated - I did both a BS/MS (master of sh!t) in four years because
that's how long my scholarship lasted.  I didn't have to gopher for the
professors, but I do admit that I made a point of making a good
impression on the department chair when I took her class ;).

Seriously, I never really saw that much politics involved, and our
department had a non-thesis option - I spent a year working an
internship building robots (controlled through an SS2->VME
backplane->VxWorks) for a professor who left to return to research.  So
my full-time job included course credit.  Writing a dissertation, along
with Dave M's point about it not being a real life, are the two major
reasons I haven't gone for the PhD yet.  If I found an employer
interested in contributing, I'd probably take them up on it.  But life
is definitely a better learning experience.

You might try talking to different colleges and finding out if they'll
credit experience as a non-thesis option.  All you have to do is pay for
the credit-hours.

Tom