[geeks] For Dave M - Fscking Suits

Jonathan C. Patschke jp at celestrion.net
Thu Mar 7 20:34:14 CST 2002

>Unfortunately, my job is transitioning us from dual processor Octane2
>to P4/WIN2K because "It's the Right Thing To Do" since SGI is so
>clearly going out of business (the sarcasm is mine).

I smell a meaty scavenging opportunity.  Dumpster-diving for
Octane2s...that sounds like an excellent way to spend a weekend.

>"We must all use the same resources", so those of us doing Monte Carlo
>neutron transport modeling and 3D reactor kinetics-coupled CFD will
>just have to make do with wintel

<sarcasm>
Make do?  Hell, it's an upgrade!  I mean, just compare the features,
man!  You get... uhm, more -drive bays!-  And just compare the CPUs.  Two
450MHz CPUs versus one 1200MHz CPU.  No contest!  And who needs this "V
Pro" crap, anyway.  Everyone -knows- that the latest GeForce has more
computing power than the entire world had in 1984.
</sarcasm>

>because the administrative staff can't figure out how to do anything
>unless they can have the 14,000 different fonts and clip-art that Word
>uses.

You were expecting differently?  Nobody in Windersland has heard of HTML,
except in email.  And PDF is just for marketing.

>Oh, and we upgraded to 24 of the 32 processor Wildfire Clusters just in
>time for the Q to commit Alpha-cide.  Great visionaries in our IT
>department.

*sigh* They're still muscular VMS or Tru64 monsters, I'm sure.  Pray tell
us it doesn't run NT Advanced Server.

--Jonathan

--
      "If I had wanted your website to make noise I would have licked my finger
       and rubbed it across the monitor."