[geeks] For Dave M - Fscking Suits

Michael A. Turner mturner at whro.org
Thu Mar 7 06:05:55 CST 2002

	Surprisingly no. Very anti-MS in fact. All the machines in the labs
are suns (their are some windows labs but on a whole they are suns). For all
the time I have been going to school I have had a telnet account on a sun
box (several in fact we are using NSF, not sure of what is going on in the
background but we have about 15 doing round robin acceptance of telnet
connections.)The rule is, if you turn something in and it does not compile
on GCC it's YOUR fault. Every class I have had they have actively warned
against using visual c++ because the translation to GCC can be so ruff (i.e.
compile perfectly on your home windows box. You transfer it to the sun
machine and compile and it blows up big).
	Their are no classes on windows at all, but so far I have taken a
Beowulf clustering (elective) class and several class on how to program
specifically for the Unix environment (not an elective). the impression I
get is that the whole CS department from the professors to the student
system administrators are rabidly anti-Microsoft. Probably because we are
not that large of a school so MS has not bothered to attack with ad money
(usual freshman CS class size ~ 600, graduating class size ~ 40).
	And what made me mention the graduation thing is that I am studying
for midterms right now and one class needs the html portion of that (it's
and internet databases class I am not taking a straight web development
class so don't look down on me), and another needs the pattern matching part
of that.
	I must say actually it has been my school that sparked my interest
in sun gear and unix, before that I was pretty heavily a MS head.
 	Oh and the school is Old Dominion University in Norfolk VA.

Michael A. Turner
Systems Engineer
WHRO
michael.turner at whro.org