[geeks] Intel's new bechmark idea

Joshua D Boyd jdboyd at cs.millersville.edu
Tue Mar 5 22:27:02 CST 2002

On Tue, Mar 05, 2002 at 04:18:31PM -0800, Peter L. Wargo wrote:

> "in our tests of the itanium .vs. a Quadra 950, you can see that..."

If they aren't carefull, the Quadra might win, like if the  Quadra had striped
JackHammer cards, and the Itanium had a single IDE drive.  I really don't
understand why people think that moving to a newer machines means that IDE
has become superior.

The only way I could possibly think of IDE as good would be to use a stack
of cheap machines to hold stripped and mirror IDE drives, and be connected
to the main workstation by myrinet or some other very fast networking.  But
then, is it really still cheaper than SCSI or FC-AL?  I think not.

--
Joshua D. Boyd