[geeks] Re: TeX, etc

Joshua D Boyd jdboyd at cs.millersville.edu
Sat Mar 2 23:52:50 CST 2002

On Sat, Mar 02, 2002 at 07:44:43PM -0600, Bill Bradford wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 03, 2002 at 01:15:44AM +0000, Ferris McCormick wrote:
> > There are several others I consult as needed.  If you can give some
> > ideas about what you want to use it for, I (or someone) might have
> > some thoughts;  otherwise, I suppose Diller/Goossens in combination
> > make as painless an introduction as any.
>
> I also ordered the TeXbook, THEN found out I could download it as a .tex
> file and print it out myself.  d'oh!

Where do you download it?  I'm poking at google, but not finding anything.

> > Another approach you can look at is using the LyX package if you
> > don't care for backslashes (I don't use the package, but its documentation
> > is pretty good.)
>
> I'm looking at this right now in fact - got it installing on my Win32 and
> *nix boxes as we "speak".

I didn't care for it, but others may feel differently.  I'm a purist.
Python, emacs, and latex (Sorry, I want to avoid as much of the \s as I
can, so I have a python preprocessor).

> > Let me know if I can be of any assistance; I am a TeX fanatic when
> > it comes to documentation, and I won't use anything else (there is a
> > good (and free) dvi->pdf converter which solves communications
> > problems with people who like WYSIWYG word processors on commonly
> > used PC-based systems.)

Where is it?  I've used pdflatex at school, but the resulting pdf files have
always sucked.  I've gotten much better results with latex -> dvips ->
[ghostscript | ps2pdf].

--
Joshua D. Boyd