[geeks] Linux filesystem size limit?

Al Potter apotter at icsalabs.com
Fri Mar 1 15:03:00 CST 2002

OK folks....

I'm building a LARGE fileserver for a friend, and have a little over 3/4
terabyte in the drive array on a dual 1800+ Athlon with 1GB of ram.

I want to use a journaling filesystem like ext3 or reiserfs to speed system
recovery time in the event of a power outage or whatever.  Further, I want
to benchmark all of the fs options and RAID levels to pick the combination
that performs best for the way we are going to use this box.

Reiserfs formats the partition fine, and seems to work OK.  Journal replay
on a mount takes about 45 seconds, which is acceptable.

I can't get an ext3 or ext2 filesystem to complete the format.

Any suggestions?

AL