[geeks] was OSX --> worst of Apple

Peter L. Wargo pwargo at basenji.com
Fri Mar 1 12:21:17 CST 2002

On Fri, 1 Mar 2002, Joshua D Boyd wrote:

> Did you use an accelerator card, or what to do that?  Could you do the same
> thing to an 840AV?

A quaddoubler from Newer tech.  You pull out the old CPU, put in a new
one.  I could send pics.  (Interestingly enough, they are model-specific,
as the need to fit correctly (they are a daughtercard of types).  I
would've preferred to boost the Q700...)  You cant do any '040's that are
over 25MHz external clock, as there was no 66MHz '040 made.  Nor an 80.
(Now, having said that, I know people who've chipped a
quaddoubler-equipped system.  I wonder if active cooling would let me get
one up to 66 MHz.  I bet my Q950 would ROCK like that...)

> I doubt it will beat an 840AV that is running code using the DSP.  Plus, isn't
> the 840av supposed to have an enhanced, faster, nubus that most of pre-PPC
> macs?

Oh, overall the 840AV is a better system.  More RAM, faster I/O.  But, the
upgraded Q605 whomps it on CPU, FP, and video. (Internal)

I love a sleeper system. :-)

-P