Kyocera cutlery (was [geeks] Be)

Kurt Mosiejczuk kurt at csh.rit.edu
Sat Jun 29 19:02:59 CDT 2002

On Sat, 29 Jun 2002, Amy wrote:

> > Bah! Apparently none of you have experienced real cooking on a gas
> > grill. Charcoal tastes like crap and tends to fly up and get on the
> > food. BLECH!

Heh.  Not if it's done well on a good charcoal grill. =)

> Oh, I've experienced it. I just happen to think food cooked over propane
> tastes like total shit in comparison to food *properly* cooked over
> charcoal. The carbonization effect, when done right--and if you've got
> charcoal spitting up onto the food it ain't being done right--adds to it
> and doesnt ruin it.

It depends on the gas grill.  We had a really shitty little one that
cooked like crap.  We've currently have a Char-Broil Big Easy gas
grill.  It cooks very nicely.  I think the keys to it are:  1) It's
got little plates over the burners, so that tends to even out the
heat. and more importantly 2)  Heavy cast iron grates.  A must on
any real grill (charcoal or gas).

We do manage beautiful grill marks and a nice carbonization effect.
Although we don't get Mesquite flavor (for obvious reasons), although
you don't really with real charcoal either... you'd need a smoke
box (which I can put in my grill and have been thinking of).

> Besides, there's no challenge in a gas grill. Part of the fun in my family
> was getting the damn thing arranged, lit, and watching the family
> argument fallout and betting who would punch a hole in the nearest wall
> first.

I'll agree with this, although it seems a chimney starter falls into
the "less challenging" also =)

I do like the fact that we only have to worry about how full the tank
is, although I still am lusting after a nice charcoal grill also.  But
the ease of use on gas is also nice.  Combine that with a quality
grill, and you get acceptable food.  At least IMNSHO =)

--Kurt