[geeks] Re: um, hi. I'm new.

dave at cca.org dave at cca.org
Thu Jun 27 17:29:01 CDT 2002

beth at bethroberts.com writes:

>Oddly enough, on that front, I got an email today from a reporter from the
>NYTimes wanting to interview me about my thoughts on the difficulty of
>remaining anonymous in the age of Google (she got my name/email from a
>metafilter post I made a while back, wherein I mentioned that I changed back
>to my maiden name post-divorce so that I could be more anonymous). I haven't
>replied to her yet, but I think it would be cool - I've never been
>interviewed before. (Unless you count when David and I were accosted leaving
>the theater today by News 8 Austin (local cable news channel) after watching
>Minority Report).

I refuse to do telephone interviews (I *especially* refuse to do live
radio interviews over the phone. I've gotten that request a few times.)
but email or face-to-face is fun.

>And yes, I'm a vi person. I hated vi when I first started using it, but
>slowly grew to really like it. A friend of mine once told me about various
>religious wars about whether vi was a "moded" editor or not. He said of
>course it was - the modes are "beep-feelie" (when you hit escape, you hear a
>beep) and "non-beep-feelie" (no beep).

Ok, that's half of the religious issues. Now..... which version of
*nix do you like?

------ David Fischer ------- dave at cca.org ------- http://www.cca.org -------
----- If you want god in your government, move to fucking Afghanistan. -----