[geeks] Yes, it works!

Tim H. lists at pellucidar.net
Thu Jun 27 16:49:59 CDT 2002

On Thu, 27 Jun 2002 21:26:29 +0000 (GMT)
Kris Kirby <kris at catonic.net> wrote:

> I'm looking for reproduction down to 20Hz, but not any lower. I just
> want a serious speaker for bass... like a portable concert rig. :) I
> don't intend on running any real power, but I like the idea of having
> that ability... 50W is more than enough for me, right now. I play with
> a 10W rig turned waay down because it distorts easy.
>
> Would have it's advantages when the neigboor's kid fires up his car at
> night. Grab `B' and start thumping... with earplugs in and gun
> mufflers. 8-)
>
> --
> Kris Kirby, KE4AHR          | TGIFreeBSD... 'Nuff said.
> <kris at nospam.catonic.net>   | IM: KrisBSD | HSV, AL.
> "Fate, it seems, is not without a sense of irony."

3/4" MDF, two layers, interlocked corners, if you are using a panel saw
you can get airtight without caulk, and it will be heavy enough to sit
still, and dense enough that LF sound doesn't just ignore it like it
tends to do with plywood.  Obviously mids and highs don't need the nasty
double layers, especially if you do mids and highs with a compression
horn, (in which case they don't even need a box).

My cousin does concert type audio for a living, and last time he was on
this end of the country he brought this really sweet 10" driver with
him, it almost looked funny, because the voice coil was 4-1/2" in dia.
The magnet assembly on it would just fit in the hole it mounted in.  I'd
love to build a set of speakers for the house with drivers like that,
you can make them sound good just with a good equalizer and a lot of
power, don't need to spend as much time trying to get the maximum
efficiency out of the cabinet.

Just throw a couple hundred watts at it, and equalize out the bad
sounding parts.  Of course that is sacrelige(there is something wrong
with that spelling, not sure what it is) to an audiophile, but it is an
amazingly effective approach.  Of course, that is the approach Bose has
always used, hence the special equalizer box required to make the 901s
sound good.

Tim