[geeks] FBI vs. bandwidth thieves

Kurt Huhn kurt at k-huhn.com
Thu Jun 27 16:23:33 CDT 2002

"Tim H." wrote:

> Is the gov't et.al. so scared of communication by people that everything
> relating to computers/internet is automatically stuffed under some
> terrorism bill or something?  I am missing a piece here somewhere, do we
> have somebody in the Toledo area that can fill me in?

My opinion is that there is nothing patently illegal about it, but IANALawyer.
The users managed to alter their cable *bridges* (It's not a friggen modem
people!) to get more bandwidth.  Fine, but where the FBI comes in, I don't
know.  However, since it ran over a *cable* company's infrastructure, it's
possible that there are federal regulations governing the use/misuse/abuse of
that medium.

The users did do A Bad Thing, though, trying to get something for free.  That
does, logically, amount to theft.

The story was long on accusation, and short on actual information.  Not
surprising, since the cable company in question owns the paper that maintains
that website...
--
Kurt                   "What me look like, ricecake monster?
kurt at k-huhn.com         Me Cookie Monster!  Me need COOKIE!" --Cookie Monster